Kyle and Jackie O return to radio

Jackie O and KyleKyle and Jackie O returned to the airwaves today, apologising for a disastrous lie detector stunt and promising it would never happen again.The pair’s top-rating morning radio show was in recess for two weeks following a live segment in which a 14-year-old girl strapped to a lie detector revealed she’d been raped as a 12-year-old.Sandilands and Henderson sounded contrite on their return this morning, thanking their “thousands of supporters”, but apologising for hurting the girl’s family and their audience.”We have had time to reflect on it and it’s pretty obvious the whole thing was a disaster from start to finish,” Sandilands said.”We do sincerely apologise to the family once again and to any listeners we offended.”The show now includes a time delay and all interactive segments will be pre-recorded.Henderson said nothing like last month’s stunt would occur again.”I think everyone on the show has learned form this mistake and we’re sincerely sorry and we’ve put everything in place now that we’re confident it won’t happen again,” she said.But controversy has followed Sandilands and Henderson.The family of a toddler left brain-damaged in a near-drowning earlier this year claims 2Day FM did not follow through on an on-air appeal that raised $150,000 back in March.Joshua Koman’s mother, Wendy Climpson, told Channel Nine yesterday the radio station left her to collect the donations and would not help when only $50,200 worth of pledges was honoured.Ms Climpson also revealed Sandilands only paid $20,000 of the $35,000 he promised.Sandilands’ manager said his client would pay the remainder in instalments.2DayFM management said in a statement the show was “extraordinarily disappointed the pledges haven’t been fulfilled we have done everything we can to encourage people to meet the pledges”. smh南京夜网.au
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

THE ASIAN TSUNAMI DISASTER

FAMILY ORDEAL: Catherine and Peter Marron with baby Richard, born Christmas day five years ago.Catherine and Peter Marron and their children Richard, who turned 5 on Christmas Day, and Sophie, 7, were on a day trip to the island from Phuket, where they had been holidaying for a week.
Nanjing Night Net

They had not long arrived at Phi Phi, the idyllic setting for the film The Beach, before they went swimming.

Suddenly the waist-deep water rushed out, leaving them only ankle deep.

“Catherine knew something was wrong and she yelled out to Peter to catch hold of Richard,” Ian Fair said.

“The next thing, they were all underwater and the waves crashed on top of them.

“They struggled up and the water started receding again.”

Mr Fair said the boats in the bay started their motors and began picking up people in the water.

“Someone took them to (where they could climb up to) higher ground, just two minutes before the next wave,” he said.

The family clambered up the bank to a high point, which had become a refuge for people trying to avoid the water, and they spent a number of hours there, unharmed bar a few cuts and scratches.

The next day, a ferry took them back to their Phuket beachfront hotel, whose first two floors had been devastated by the water.

“Fortunately their room was on the third level, so they could break in and get their belongings and papers,” Mr Fair said. “(Catherine) said their hotel was one of the few left standing. They are very, very lucky to be alive.”

Mr Fair said he and his wife had a phone call from Peter’s brother in Melbourne late in the afternoon on Boxing Day after he had seen the disaster on the TV news.

They sent Catherine and Peter a quick e-mail at 6.30pm asking them to let them know if they were okay.

They registered the Marrons with the emergency hotline about 8.30pm and three hours later received an e-mail from the family to say they were safe.

Catherine phoned her parents late Monday night to give them more detail.

“They’re safe and well and hopefully they’re flying out today,” Mr Fair said.

“It was horrific for the children.”

Mrs Fair said her daughter had described it as a horrible experience and said they were “glad to be breathing”.

She said Catherine had praised the locals, who had formed human chains on the beach to drag people from the water, and a Thai policewoman who had offered them her hotel room.

“So they were well looked after,” Mrs Fair said.

“Once you see the destruction and the devastation (on the news), you think `how does anyone get out of that?’

“We’d been praying a lot for them and we’re just so thankful.”

The Marron family has been living in Brunei for the last two years, where Peter, 44, has been working as a teacher and Catherine, 36, as a school nurse.

They are due to return to Launceston in June.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

Bulldogs muscle in on Dragons territory

Bulldogs five-eighth Ben Roberts is watched by Jamal Idris as he boots the ball downfield during their training run at Kiama’s Chittick Oval yesterday. Picture: ADAM McLEAN
Nanjing Night Net

As the race for NRL minor premiership heats up, the Dragons’ biggest title threat has bunkered down deep within St George Illawarra heartland.The second-placed Bulldogs have set up camp in Kiama this week as they ramp up preparations for the finals series just three weeks away.The battle for first place on the ladder took a twist at the weekend when the Dragons fell to competition also-rans the Raiders at Canberra Stadium. Full coverage of The St George Illawarra DragonsTRY HARD BLOG: Broncos will test the Dragons As a result, it leaves the door ajar for the Dogs to snatch the JJ Giltinan Shield for the minor premiership and the $100,000 windfall that goes with it.The home of ex-St George great Steve “Slippery” Morris, Kiama is now a town divided after prolific tryscorer Josh Morris’ defection to the Bulldogs this season.His twin brother Brett is the Dragons’ leading try-scorer and second overall with 19 tries for the season, while Josh has crossed the stripe on 15 occasions.Having escaped the Sydney spotlight, the Bulldogs trained at Kiama Showground yesterday but were tight-lipped when approached by the media.However, it’s understood coach Kevin Moore is using the camp to formulate a blueprint for their finals campaign.”There’s a few things Kev wants to address and put in place for the finals,” a Dogs insider said.”He wanted to take the players away from the Sydney pressure cooker, it will be a good freshen up with just three rounds to go.”The Bulldogs flexed their premiership muscle on Friday night against North Queensland in Townsville.After trailing 12-6 at half-time, the Dogs stormed to a 22-12 victory.In contrast, the Dragons stumbled to their seventh successive loss in Canberra.St George Illawarra and the Bulldogs both have a 16-5 win-loss record this season, but the Dogs were stripped of two competition points for having 14 men on the field during a stunning comeback victory against Penrith in round two.There was also controversy in the Dragons’ victory over the Bulldogs at Kogarah, when Jamal Idris was denied a try – set up by Illawarra junior Luke Patten – after a contentious obstruction ruling against Greg Eastwood on Jamie Soward.Two points clear at the top of the table, the Dragons superior for-and-against is likely to mean they need to lose at least two of their remaining three games to miss out on the minor premiership.The Gold Coast Titans also remain a mathematical chance of finishing first, four points behind the Dragons.The Bulldogs are one of several NRL clubs to use Kiama as a training base.They have a nine-day break before Monday’s battle with the Roosters and will take time out in the South Coast seaside getaway for some golf and charter fishing, as well as training.The Sharks stayed in Kiama earlier this year following the 2002 Christchurch group sex revelations which engulfed the club.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

Northern Police Commander promoted to Assistant Commissioner

HOBART ROLE: Northern District Police Commander Scott Tilyard will become Assistant Commissioner of Crime and Operations next year. Picture: GEOFF ROBSONHe hopes to see the trend continue around the State when he becomes Assistant Commissioner of Crime and Operations next year.
Nanjing Night Net

The 42-year-old officer was named as Assistant Commissioner Luppo Prins’s successor and will take over the role when Mr Prins retires in March.

Cdr Tilyard was appointed to the Northern District in January 2003.

He said total crime was down 40 per cent and property crime such as stealing, damaging property and breaking into houses or cars had dropped 46 per cent.

Home burglaries were down 39 per cent, business burglaries 56 per cent, motor vehicle burglaries 55 per cent and vehicle thefts 45 per cent.

“The other area that we have managed to reduce slightly but not as much is person offences such as assaults, which are down 3 per cent,” Cdr Tilyard said.

While all police took personal satisfaction in reducing crime, police could not take all the credit, he said.

“We work with people in the community, local government and other partners, and a lot of those programmes are contributing to those reductions.”

Cdr Tilyard’s new role means he will be responsible for Crime and Operations across the State.

The rank is equal third in the hierarchy of Tasmania Police behind Commissioner Richard McCreadie and Deputy Commissioner Jack Johnston.

Cdr Tilyard begins working in Hobart next week.

“I’ve got a strong operational background and a lot of my time in the service has been in the operational area, particularly in recent years,” he said.

One of Cdr Tilyard’s new tasks will be working to reduce fatal road accidents after a bad 2004.

“We will be maintaining our high visibility around the State and focusing on the primary causes of serious crashes such as excessive speed, inattentiveness, excessive alcohol and failing to wear seatbelts.”

Cdr Tilyard began his career with Tasmania Police with a cadetship in 1981. He graduated in December 1982 and was posted to Launceston.

He worked in country stations such as Fingal, Bicheno and St Helens before moving into the Criminal Investigation Branch and later into police prosecution.

He also worked in the Poppy Task Force, in licensing and in Hobart at the Glenorchy and Kingston stations.

Cdr Tilyard was promoted to Inspector and was head of Hobart CIB for four and a half years before becoming commander of the Northern District.

Insp. Phil Wilkinson will be Acting Commander from Monday and has been named as a likely candidate for the top job.

Cdr Tilyard said the vacancy would be gazetted and no doubt some senior officers and inspectors would apply.

“I will miss Launceston,” he said. “All up, I’ve had half my career based here.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more