Search continues for man missing on Lake Jindabyne

Police say there’s no hope of finding alive a Queensland man who went swimming in frigid Lake Jindabyne on Saturday. Police divers and two search boats were being sent out today to continue searching a small section of the Snowy Mountains lake for the 40-year-old, who jumped in against the advice of his friends about 4pm on Saturday. But police Superintendent Peter Rooney said with the water temperature hovering around the six degree mark, there was little chance the man had survived. “We’re not holding out any hope of finding him alive,” Superintendent Rooney said. “(Conditions are) a bit calmer than yesterday but the lake’s still choppy and there’s a front moving through.”The man was holidaying in Lake Jindabyne with his partner and friends, Superintendent Rooney said. He was with three or four friends on Saturday afternoon when he decided to swim from the lake’s edge out to Cub Island, a distance of almost 600 metres. “His mates tried to talk him out of it but he was adamant he was going and we believe he had consumed some alcohol prior to it,” Superintendent Rooney said. The man made it about half way across before getting into difficulties. He called out to his friends before disappearing under the surface. His friends and a fisherman walking past caught the attention of police, who commandeered a small boat and went out to where the man was last seen. “We had police there in five minutes in a boat … there was no sign of him,” Superintendent Rooney said. Shortly afterwards police and State Emergency Services (SES) boats joined them but a grid search of the area did not find the man. The search was suspended well after nightfall and started again yesterday before stopping about 11am due to bad weather. At 1pm, police divers were sent out to search to depths of between six and 10 metres, while police and SES volunteers searched the foreshore of the lake and nearby islands.Superintendent Rooney said the divers would go out again today with two boats but there was no chance the man was still alive. The man’s partner and friends were still in Jindabyne, he said. “Obviously she’s distraught … her and his mates have assisted us in being able to narrow down the search area significantly,” Superintendent Rooney said. The last known drowning in Lake Jindabyne occurred more than four years ago, he said.
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

St Vincent’s Private Hospital anaesthetists investigated

The entire team of anaesthetists at St Vincent’s Private Hospital – more than 30 doctors – is under investigation for acting as a cartel.The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is moving to end what other doctors claim is a decades-long history of restrictive behaviour by an old boys’ network which is bent on protecting its exclusive access to some of Sydney’s most lucrative private operating lists.The ACCC last week demanded the group – a consortium of doctors employed as independent contractors but allocated nearly all the hospital’s anaesthetic work – justify its existence and membership rules and defend how its members set patients’ fees.Other doctors said giving anaesthetic shifts to a limited pool of specialists could also compromise patient care, barring surgeons from choosing anaesthetists experienced in particular operations.The commission’s move could see individual doctors hit with fines of up to $500,000 if they are found to have breached competition laws. It comes after the hospital last year applied to the commission to rule it could continue the practice of preventing outside anaesthetists from working in its operating theatres, even when requested by a surgeon.The private hospital’s pool is restricted to anaesthetists who also work at St Vincent’s Public Hospital – appointed through what the hospital describes as a, ”competitive process ” intended to benefit public patients, but which others say includes a system of patronage skewed towards doctors trained there.The application prompted a huge backlash, as individuals and specialists’ groups told the commission the closed roster was unjustified and unique in NSW.In its submission, NSW Health, which funds St Vincent’s Public Hospital, said public patients did not benefit from the exclusivity arrangement, because there was no, “current or foreseeable shortage of anaesthetists,” in the eastern suburbs, and, “indeed if anything there is an oversupply”.The hospital withdrew the application in December and is understood to have told the doctors, who effectively run the anaesthetic department and charge some of Sydney’s highest rates, to change how they allocate work.But the commission is now investigating new complaints from anaesthetists who say they are still locked out of work at St Vincent’s Private.Early this year the hospital’s executive director, Robert Cusack, signed a rejection letter saying there was, ”sufficient anaesthetic cover within the existing cohort of anaesthetists,” and the candidate therefore, ”did not satisfy a business need of the hospital.”Despite this, Mr Cusack is understood to be furious with the anaesthetists’ position and to have told them he will not pay their legal costs or any fines.An anaesthetist, David Bollinger, told the Herald : ”I’ve had a professional relationship with a surgeon I’ve worked with for 15 years, and he moved to St Vincent’s and they won’t let me work there. It’s … mean-spirited, and bordering on unethical.”Another anaesthetist refused work said: ”St Vincent’s is very highly regarded in the community [but] the way they do things is not necessarily in the best interests of patients … it’s in the best interests of themselves.”Gregory Deacon, public officer of the St Vincent’s Private anaesthetists’ consortium, declined to comment, saying the matter was being handled by lawyers. The hospital also refused to comment, citing the ACCC proceedings. theage南京夜网.au
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

Classic moment for rider’s mum

HAVE MONEY WILL RIDE: Classic winner Matthew Goss rides off to cash his winner’s cheque after yesterday’s victory. Picture: PHILLIP BIGGS.(1/2)Still shaking just minutes after her son crossed the line to take the $10,000 winner’s cheque, she said: “For the last half of the race I was so nervous I was getting further and further out into the road.”
Nanjing Night Net

Fortunately, Matthew managed to avoid his ecstatic mum, and the stupidly parked clapped-out Mazda in Elphin Rd, to ensure a perfect hometown boy finish to a pretty perfect event.

The people of Launceston also played their part in helping to make their event a real success. Not least the four local lads wearing homemade white Aussie team pursuit uniforms complete with aerodynamic pointed headgear (on bikes that also looked home-made) who resembled a group of high-spirited albino Ku Klux Klan trainees.

Then there were some over-interested but under- informed spectators whose conversations were a joy to eavesdrop on.

“So who’s leading?”

“I think it’s McEwen.”

“You sure it’s not McGee?”

“Oh it could be. It’s Mc- something anyway.”

And also: “Is this where that bloke crashed last year Dad?”

“Yes.”

“Do you think he’ll do it again?”

In the interests of research, I took up the organisers’ offer to ride around the course before the event began, and it took me about four times as long as the real competitors – although I have to admit I was playing to the crowd a bit.

My ageing bike basically has three sets of gears – slow, uphill and coronary – and regularly interchanges between them with no instruction to do so from the gear lever.

I did manage to overtake a few fellow riders, although admittedly nobody without stabilising wheels on the back.

The lap gave me the utmost respect for the race riders, who not only went on to complete 34 more than me at a somewhat faster pace but successfully managed to ignore such tempting distractions as the “Wine route” sign that would have required a detour in Elphin Rd and the offer of Pilates classes at the Launceston Indoor Sports Arena.

The corners into Lyttleton St and Racecourse Cres. were the best on the course – the LISA left-hander and Coles Corner destined to become as famous in racing circles as the Lowes Hairpin at Monaco.

Launceston could not have done much more to make the event, now in its third year, a success.

Not only was there decent sustenance for any weary riders in the form of splendid sausage rolls from the City Park Store in Tamar St, but there wasn’t a dagwood dog in sight.

LAUNCESTON CYCLING CLASSIC THE TOP 20

1. Matthew Goss

2. Stuart O’Grady

3. Gui Nelesson

4. Karl Menzies

5. David Tanner

6. Mark Jamieson 7. David McKenzie

8. Chris Wilding

9. Mike Friedman

10. Josh Wilson

11. Sam Lee

12. A Rusden

13. Chris Sutton

14. Jason Phillips

15. Josh Kerhof

16. Jarrod Harman

17. Matt White

18. Michael Wilson

19. Robbie McEwen

20. Tommy Nankervis

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

BlueScope Steel posts net loss of $66m

BlueScope Steel has reported an annual loss of $66 million in the past financial year in what the steelmaker described as the most challenging 12 months in its history.The after-tax net loss for the year ended June 30 compared to a profit of $596 million in the previous year.BlueScope, Australia’s largest steelmaker, said while it had recently seen some improvement in demand in its markets, the company remained cautious and expected to report a further loss in the first half of 2009-10.The past year was marked by heavy falls in export demand, sales and prices. SLIDESHOW: BlueSCope No 5 blast furnace reline”We are encouraged by the improvement in demand in some markets, and by movement in steel prices globally,” chief executive Paul O’Malley said.”However, the improvement in demand is coming off a low base and we remain cautious on the outlook and are currently expecting to deliver a small reported net loss after tax in the first half of financial year 2010.”Mr O’Malley also warned over Australia’s plan to cut carbon emissions, which he said would damage the competitiveness of the Port Kembla Steelworks.”(BlueScope) strongly believes that the cumulative net cost impact of the current design of the proposed Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS) would be highly significant and material, and that it would severely damage our competitiveness, putting domestic investment, Australian jobs and the Australian steel industry at high risk,” he said.”Importantly, the CPRS undermines Port Kembla Steelworks current world class competitiveness. It risks the viability of these long-term manufacturing assets. Its a direct threat to this NSW regional economy and the 12,000 workers and their families who rely on the steelworks, and more than 1000 employees and contractors and their families at Western Port in Victoria.”Mr O’Malley said the group was yet to see the full flow-on effect of various government stimulus packages, especially in the United States and Australia.”We are seeing the benefits of China’s economic stimulus package,” he said.”And we have an increasingly positive view of our prime market, Australia.”As foreshadowed, BlueScope did not declare a final dividend. It had paid a final dividend of 27 cents in the previous corresponding period.Revenue for the year was $10.33 billion, down 1.6 per cent.Its annual underlying net profit after tax was $56 million, down 93 per cent on the previous year.”This was the most challenging year that BlueScope Steel has faced,” Mr O’Malley said.For full coverage see Tuesday’s Mercury.
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

Youth impaled on fence is out of hospital

Rescued: Paramedics and Fire Brigade officers work on the student, with part of the pole still embedded in his thigh.A 19-year-old Wollongong university student who was impaled on a fence post for 40 minutes spent just over a day in hospital before being discharged.The teenager was walking home from a night on the town when he jumped a fence in Flinders St to relieve himself just before midnight on Friday.After clearing the main fence, he landed on a secondary, ornamental steel fence not far behind. Crash victim robbed while impaled on stakeThe pointed, 60mm fence pole entered his right leg behind the thigh and exited below the knee.The Fairy Meadow man, who is studying engineering, was left hanging on the fence of the Avis Rent-A-Car yard until police saw him just after midnight. Police officers supported the man’s weight until a NSW Fire Brigades rescue team arrived and cut out a three-pronged section of the fence to free him.He was transported to Wollongong Hospital with part of the pole still embedded in his leg and was conscious throughout.The post is believed to have passed through the leg without causing any major damage or arterial bleeds.He was airlifted to St George Hospital where the post was removed and he was treated with antibiotics before being discharged. The accident was the second impaling in a week.Last week a Nowra man was impaled by a garden stake in a motorcycle accident – and is believed to have been robbed and assaulted while suffering his life-threatening injuries.The 39-year-old allegedly stole a bike and was riding it along Adelaide St, Greenwell Point, when he lost control.A timber metre-long garden stake was driven through his right armpit and out his back. Paramedics arrived to find the man conscious and the stake already pulled from his body.Nowra police confirmed there was no motorcycle at the scene when authorities arrived.A source said the owner of the bike had caught up with the rider, pulled out the stake and punched him on the nose before taking his wallet and reclaiming the motorcycle.
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more